Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Mini Research #1

There are many TV shows that come from across the globe that we may not even realize aren't from the US. After reading the article '32 New TV Shows From Other Countries You Should Be Watching Right Now' from the Huffington Post posted on November 15th, 2015 I realized that many of my favorite shows come from other countries. Overseas television gives us plenty to discover, whether through Netflix, Amazon Instant Video or even YouTube. Among the lengthy list posted in the article you will find shows such as The Returned, Sherlock, The Fall, Prisoners of War, and The Missing. The shows origins range from countries such as the United Kingdom and Denmark all the way to Israel and Canada. 

One of my favorite shows is Downton Abbey . This British drama series follows the lives of the Crawley family and its servants in the family's classic Georgian country house. The series begins with the 1912 sinking of the Titanic, which leaves Downton Abbey's future in jeopardy, since the presumptive heirs of Robert, Earl of Grantham -- his cousin James, and James' son, Patrick -- die in the catastrophe, leaving the family without a male offspring to take over Downton when the current lord dies. The point is important since Lord Grantham's children are daughters -- Ladies Mary, Edith and Sybil, but the facets of their lives and of those of the below-stairs staff -- also a highly regimented world -- have fascinating story lines. The show has recently ended after their sixth season but the legacy of the Grantham's lives on. This is a show my family and I all enjoy watching together. 

2 comments:

  1. I found your writings in this blog entry interesting and I think I will investigate one or two of the shows you mention. I know of some already but often forget when I'm trying to find something different and interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your writings in this blog entry interesting and I think I will investigate one or two of the shows you mention. I know of some already but often forget when I'm trying to find something different and interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete